Prestwich St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Little Heaton, Great Heaton, Rigley, Rayton, Prestolee, Pilkington, and Outwood.
Alternative names: Prestwick, Prestwich cum Oldham
Parish registers begin:
Prestwich St Mary
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Prestwich St Margaret’s, Holyrood
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, Swedenborgian/New Jerusalem/New Church, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Blackley St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRESTWICH, a small town, a township, and a sub-district, in Manchester district, and a parish partly also in Oldham and Bury districts, Lancashire. The town stands 1¼ mile ENE of the river Irwell, 1½ E by N of Clifton-Junction r. station, and 4 NNW of Manchester; contains numerous good residences; and has a post-office & under Manchester, two churches, two Wesleyan chapels, a Jewish cemetery, a national school, a British school, a workhouse, the Lancashire lunatic asylum, and charities £164. St. Bartholomew’s church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, two terminal chapels, and a chancel, with a tower 85 feet high; and contains a fine reredos erected in 1865, and several handsome monuments. St. Margaret’s church was founded in 1848, by the Duchess of Cambridge. One of the Wesleyan chapels was built in 1867. The national school was built in 1866, at a cost of about £2,800; and is in the early English style, with high-pitched roof and brick tower. The lunatic asylum stands in the centre of extensive grounds; is a range of structures in brick, with stone facings; underwent enlargement about 1862; and has accommodation for about 1,000 patients. The workhouse is one of three for Manchester district; and, at the census of 1861, had 66 in-mates. The township comprises 1,906 acres. Real property, £21,725. Pop. in 1851, 4,096; in 1861, 5,288. Houses, 973. The sub-district contains also Great Heaton and Little Heaton townships, and comprises 3,281 acres. Pop. in 1851, 5,046; in 1861, 6,285. Houses, 1,168. The parish contains also the townships of Pilkington, Oldham, Chadderton, Tonge, Alkrington, Royton, and Crompton; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Prestwich, Hollinwood, Ringley, Prestolee, Oldham, St. Mary, O., St. Peter, O., St. James, Chadderton, St. John, C., St. Matthew, Coldhurst, East Crompton, Glodwick, Werneth, Waterhead, Royton, Shaw, Unsworth, and Tonge-with-Alkrington. Acres, 21,625. Pop. in 1851, 94,470; in 1861, 117,961. Houses, 23,039. The living of Prestwich is a rectory united with the chapelry of St. Margaret, and all the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of Manchester. Value of the rectory, £1,230. Patron, the Earl of Wilton. The other livings are noticed in the articles on their own several localities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Aldred James, Outwood, Pilkington, Lancashire, Nov. 27, 1829.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Manchester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Prestwich
- Poor Law Union: Prestwich
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York