Poulton le Fylde is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Carleton, Fleetwood, Fleetwood on Wyre, Stanah, Great Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Little Carleton, and Great and Little Carleton.
Parish registers begin: 1591
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Poulton le Fylde
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POULTON-LE-FYLDE, a small town, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Fylde district, Lancashire. The town stands on the Preston and Wyre railway, at the junction of the branch to Blackpool, near the river Wyre, 5 miles S by E of Fleetwood; conducted commerceas a port on the Wyre, previous to the founding of Fleetwood; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling-place; and has a post-office under Preston, a railway station with telegraph, a police station, a church, two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a free school, a weekly corn-market on Monday, and fairs on 3 Feb., 13 April, and 3 Nov. The church was rebuilt in 1751; retains a tower of the time of Charles I.; and contains tablets to the families of Brockholes, Hesketh, and Fleetwood. The township comprises 900 acres. Real property, £3,798. Pop., 1,141. Houses, 246. The manor belonged to Roger de Poictiers, and was given to Shrewsbury abbey. The parish contains also the townships of Hardhorn-with-Newton, Great and Little Carleton, and Thornton-with-Fleetwood-on-Wyre, and the hamlets of Great Marton and Little Marton; and includesa great extent of coast and foreshore. Acres, 20,666. Real property, £39,367; of which £200 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 7,690; in 1861, 8,665. Houses, 1,418. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £257. Patron, the Rev.Hesketh. The p.curacies of Thornton, Fleetwood, and Marton are separate benefices. The sub-district excludes Little Martonhamlet, but includes Bispham parish and Singleton township. Acres, 29,391. Pop. in 1851, 10,415; in 1861, 12,914. Houses, 2,256.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Fylde
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Amounderness
- Poor Law Union: Fylde
- Hundred: Amounderness
- Province: York