Poulton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from Lancaster St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Torrisholme, Poulton Barre and Torrisholme, and Bare.
Alternative names: Morcambe Holy Trinity, Poulton le Sand, Poulton le Sands
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1747
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1746
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
- Bolton le Sands
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POULTON-LE-SANDS, a sea-port village, a township, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is conjoint with Morecambe village; stands on a bight of Morecambe bay, at the terminus of a railway from Lancaster, 3¼ miles WNW of Lancaster; is a sub-port to Lancaster, and a sea-bathing place; shares in the facilities of Morecambe post-office and railway station; and has, conjointly with that village, gas-works, water-works, two good hotels, many excellent lodging-houses, good sea-bathing appliances, a fine promenade, and a four-gun battery. The township contains also the villages of Bare and Torrisholme. Acres, 1,641. Real property, £7,951. Pop. in 1851, 1,301; in 1861, 2,236. Houses, 433. The chapelry is nearly conterminate with the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 2,228. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180. Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is a neat building, with a tower. There are an Independent chapel, with a good spire; a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1855; a Primitive Methodist chapel; and an endowed school, with £31 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Lancaster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Amounderness
- Poor Law Union: Caton Gilbert Union
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York