Pilling is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1756 from chapelry in Garstang Ancient Parish and Cockerham Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1630
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1688
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PILLING, a village and a township-chapelry in Garstang parish, Lancashire. The village stands near Lancaster bay, 6½ miles W of Scorton r. station, and 6½ N W by W of Garstang; and has a post-office under Preston. The chapelry comprises 8,017 acres. Real property, £6,850. Pop. in 1851, 1,281; in 1861, 1,388. Houses, 234. Much of the land is peat-moss; and large quantities of turf are cut. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £124. Patrons, E. Hornby and J. Gardner, Esqs. The church was rebuilt in 1735. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a slightly endowed national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Garstang
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Amounderness
- Poor Law Union: Garstang
- Hundred: Amounderness
- Province: York