Pennington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Alternative names: Pennington in Furness, Pennington near Ulverston
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1613
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Kirkby Ireleth
- Ulverston Holy Trinity
- Dalton in Furness
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENNINGTON, a parish in Ulverston district, Lancashire; near the Furness railway, 1¾ mile WSW of Ulverston. It has a post-office under Ulverston. Acres, 2,767. Real property, £18,436; of which £7,500 are in mines, and £2,732 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 489; in 1861, 879. Houses, 163. The increase of pop. arose from extension of mining operations. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Pennington family. Iron ore is very largely mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £260. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1825. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ulverstone
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Furness
Rural Deanery: Furness and Cartmel
Poor Law Union: Ulverston