Pendlebury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1843 from Eccles Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Eccles Pendlebury St John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1842
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1842
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Unitarian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENDLEBURY, a village, a township, and two chapelries, in Eccles parish, Lancashire. The village stands on an eminence, near the Manchester and Bolton railway, the Bolton canal, and the river Irwell, ¾ of a mile S by E of Clifton Junction r. station, and 4 NW of Manchester; and has a post-office, under Manchester. The township comprises 930 acres. Real property, £17,439; of which £3,795 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,750; in 1861, 3,548. Houses, 672. There are numerous good residences; coal is extensively worked; and the cotton manufacture is carried on. The chapelries are P., St. John and P. Christchurch; and were constituted in respectively 1843 and 1861. Pop. in 1861, 2,610 and 3,170. Houses, 499 and 616. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. John, £200; of Christchurch, £219. Patrons of St. John, Trustees; of Christchurch, the Bishop of Manchester. The churches are stone structures; St. John’s plain, Christchurch in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and two national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Salford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Eccles
- Poor Law Union: Salford
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York