Over Kellet is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1730 from chapelry in Bolton le Sands Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Capernwray.
Alternative names: Over Kellett with Capernwray
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1682
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KELLET (OVER), a township-chapelry in Bolton-le-Sands parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Kendal canal, 1½ mile E of Carnforth r. station, and 6½ NNE of Lancaster. It contains the hamlet of Capernwray; and its post town is Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 3,202. Real property, £3,886; of which £21 are in quarries. Pop., 425. Houses, 89. Capernwray Hall is the seat of G. Marton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £240. Patron, Septimus Booker, Esq. The church is early English, has an embattled tower, and was recently restored. A chapel is near Capernwray Hall, and is served by a curate appointed by the vicar. There are a grammar school with £46 a year from endowment, and other charities with £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Lancaster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Kendal
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Tunstall
- Poor Law Union: Caton Gilbert Union
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York