Openshaw is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1840 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Bradford.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OPENSHAW, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Manchester and Stockport canal, and on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, 2½ miles E by S of Manchester; contains a large village of its own name; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Ashton-under-Lyne. Acres, 571. Real property, £2,866. Pop. in 1851, 3,759; in 1861, 8,623. Houses, 1,688. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of ironworks and chemical works. The manor belongs to G. Legh, Esq. There are a large cotton mill, weaving-sheds, extensive dye-works, a very extensive manufactory of railway carriages, and a depôt for repairs of locomotiveengines. The chapelry was constituted in 1840; was, till 1861 or later, conterminate with the township; and was subsequently curtailed, so as to have a pop. of only 2,777. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1839, at a cost of £4,500; is in the early English style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains 800 sittings. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,600; is in the Anglo-Italian style; and contains 600 sittings. There are also chapels for New Connexion Methodists. United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics; and schools, called the Cobden Memorial schools, were built in connexion with the United Free Methodist chapel in 1866, at a cost of about £800. There is likewise a mixed national school, with £25 a year from endowment.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Chorlton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
- Poor Law Union: Chorlton
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York