Newton All Saints is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1839 from Manchester Our Lady St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Kirkmanshulme and Culcheth.
Alternative names: Newton, Newton Heath All Saints, Newton with Culcheth and Kirkmanshulme
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1716
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1721
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Manchester St Philip, Bradford Road
- Ancoats St Andrew
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Manchester All Souls
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTON, a suburb, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Manchester district, Lancashire. The suburb adjoins Manchester city on the ENE; lies within Manchester parliamentary borough, but not within the municipal borough; and is traversed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, W and E of Miles-Platting station. The township contains also the suburb of Culcheth, and the hamlet of Kirkmanshulme; is intersected by parts of two other townships, with the effect of isolating Kirkmanshulme 3 miles from the main body; is all in Manchester parish; and has a post-office under Manchester, and a station on the Manchester and Bury branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, both of the name of Newton-Heath. Acres, 1,585. Real property, £35,755. Pop. in 1851, 10,801; in 1861, 14,907. Houses, 3,029. The manor comes earlier into notice than most other places in the vicinity of Manchester; appears to have been held, for some time, by the byrons of Clayton; and passed to the Collegiate church of Manchester. Culcheth Hall is now the only considerable antiquity; was the seat of the family of Culcheth, till they died out in the first half of the 17th century; passed to Sir John byron of Royton, to John Whitworth, Esq., and to the family of Greaves; and is now so modernized and altered as to retain no more of the original structure than a wainscoted room. The township contains several large silk mills, several large chemical works, and some dye and bleach works; and has a local board of health, a police office, a public library and reading-room, a mechanics’ institute, and a branch of the Manchester and Salford Savings’ bank. The chapelry dates from ancient times; originally included, not only all Newton township, but also Droylsden, Failsworth, Bradford, Open-shaw, Gorton, and the two Ardwicks; was curtailed at various periods, particularly in 1814; was re-constituted, within less extensive limits than those of the township in 1854; and now bears the name of Newton-Heath. Pop. in 1861, 11,241. Houses, 2,281. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The present church is a substantial stone building, in the pointed style; has a magnificent stained-glass window; and contains 1,000 sittings. There are two Methodist chapels, a church school, and a British school. The sub-district comprises the townships of Newton and Bradford, and the extra-parochial tract of Beswick. Acres, 1,924. Pop. in 1851, 12,777; in 1861, 19,311. Houses, 3,907. The increase of pop. arose from street improvements, and from the erection of various kinds of works.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Manchester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Bury
- Poor Law Union: Manchester
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York