Newchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from Winwick Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Bury Lane, Wigshaw, Twiss Green, Risley, Kenyon, Holcroft, and Desfurlong.
Alternative names: Culcheth, Winwick Newchurch in Culcheth, Trinity Newchurch Kenyon, Newchurch in Culcheth, Culceth
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Independent Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Croft with Southworth
- Warrington St Elfin
- Newton in Makerfield St Peter
- Bedford Leigh
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWCHURCH, or Newchurch-Kenyon, a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands near Kenyon Junction r. station, 3½ miles S of Leigh; and has a post-office under Warrington. The parish consists of the townships of Kenyon and Culcheth; contains the hamlets of Risley, Bury-Lane, Twiss-Green, Wigsbaw, and Holcroft; and was formerly a chapelry of Winwick parish. Acres, 6,958. Real property, £12,758. Pop. in 1851, 2,688; in 1861, 2,488. Houses, 499. The property is divided chiefly among four. The manor of Culcheth, with Culcheth Hall, belongs to T. E. Withington, Esq. Kenyon House is the seat of R. Dewhurst, Esq.; New Brook House, of J. Hartley, Esq.; and Ivy House, of M. Tomlinson, Esq. The cotton manufacture is carried on, and bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £240. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is old; comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and porch; and contains some brasses. There are a chapel of ease at Bury-Lane, chapels for Methodists, and national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Leigh
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Winwick
- Poor Law Union: Haslingden
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York