Newchurch in Rossendale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created early from chapelry in Whalley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Wolfendenen-in-Newchurch, Tunstead, Elfenden, Stackstead, Deadwin, and Clough.
Alternative names: Whalley Newchurch in Rossendale, St Nicholas with St John New Church in Rossendale
Parish registers begin:
Newchurch in Rossendale
- Parish registers: 1723
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
- Parish registers: 1840
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Jewish, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Presbyterian Unitarian, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWCHURCH-IN-ROSSENDALE, a village and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the Manchester, Bury, and Bacup railway, 2½ miles WSW of Bacup; and has a station on the railway and a post-office under Manchester, both of the name of Newchurch, and a fair on the last Monday of June. The chapelry contains also the villages of Clough-Fold, Tunstead, Waterfoot, Booth-Fold, and Whitwell-Vale. Acres, 9,650. Rated property, £33,374. Pop., 24,413. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. Thistle-Mount, Springfield, Ashlands, Clough-fold, Edgeside, and Leabank, are chief residences. Coal, freestone, and slate abound; stone is quarried; and the cotton and woollen manufactures are largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £500. Patron, the Vicar of Whalley. The church was rebuilt in 1826, on the site of a previous church of 1512; is in the Tudor style; consists of nave and aisles, with an embattled tower; has very old pews, and a carved Caen stone pulpit of 1854; and contains 1,200 sittings. The rectory house was built in 1852; and is a handsome edifice, in the Tudor style. Two other churches are in Tunstead and Waterfoot; chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Unitarians, national schools, and an endowed grammar-school, are in Newchurch; a Baptist chapel is in Clough-Fold; and a mechanics’ institution is in Whitwell-Vale The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1804, and contains nearly 500 sittings. The Unitarian chapel was rebuilt in 1865, at a cost of £2,200; and is in the pointed style. The grammar-school was built and endowed in 1711, by Mr. John Kershaw. The Baptist chapel in Clough-Folddates from 1700; had Dr. Isaac Watts, at one time, as its minister; and was enlarged in 1838, and re-enlarged in 1853
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Haslingden
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Whalley
- Poor Law Union: Clitheroe
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York