Newchurch in Pendle is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1723 from chapelry in Whalley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Old Laund Booth, Goldshaw Booth, Roughlee Booth, and Barley with Wheatley Booth.
Parish registers begin: 1721
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Inghamite, Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Scotch Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Newchurch in Pendle
Newchurch in Pendle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWCHURCH-IN-PENDLE, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; averagely 3 miles NW of Marsden r.station, and 6 NW of Burnley. It contains the townships of Goldshaw-Booth, Roughlee-Booth, Old-Laund-Booth, and Barley-with-Wheatley-Booth; and its post town is Burnley. Acres, 5,080. Rated property, £5,012. Pop. in 1851, 2,328; in 1861, 1,738. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. The manors belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. The cotton manufacture is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is in the early English style; was built in 1544; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are three Methodist chapels and a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Goldshaw-Booth, 3 m. E. Haslingden. P. 748
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Burnley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Whalley
- Poor Law Union: Clitheroe
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York