Mossley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1801 from Ashton under Lyne St Michael Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Quickmere, Mossley and Mossley Brow, Tintwistle, and Micklehurst.
Parish church: St. George
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1756
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1773
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, and Presbyterian.
- Lydgate, Yorkshire
- Stalybridge Old St George
- Stalybridge St Paul
- Stalybridge New St George
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MOSSLEY, a chapelry, in the division of Hartshead, parish and union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (N. E.) from Ashton-under-Lyne, and 9½ (E.) from Manchester; containing, in 1841, 1081 inhabitants. This is a large village, prettily situated in a valley surrounded by the Saddleworth and Cheshire hills. About the year 1773 it was a small place; in 1794 it had increased to 100 houses; and in 1841 the number was 500, including the portion called Brook-Bottom. Formerly, the staple trade consisted of coarse woollens; cotton has been latterly introduced, and the inhabitants are now employed in both manufactures. Mr. James Buckley’s cotton-mill, built in 1817, employs 250 hands; his residence at Quick-Edge, on the side of a hill, commands beautiful and extensive views. The mills of Mr. G. Mayall and Mr. J. Mayall are also in this vicinity. Several stone-quarries and collieries are in operation in the chapelry. The Huddersfield canal passes through it; and here is a station on the Manchester and Huddersfield railway: the river Tame separates Cheshire and Lancashire at Mossley. Fairs for cattle are held on June 21st and the last Monday in October. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house; patron, the Rector of Ashton. The chapel, dedicated to St. George, was built in 1755, on land given by Sir Joseph Pickford, and was enlarged in 1789. The Methodists of the New Connexion have a place of worship. Excellent national schools were erected in 1843, and there are schools in the neighbourhood built in the same year.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York