Mellor is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1830 from Blackburn St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Ramsgrave, Mellor Brook, and Blackburn Mellor Brook St Saviour.
Alternative names: Blackburn Mellor St Mary
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1829
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1830
Separate parish registers exist from Blackburn Mellor Brook St Saviour beginning 1835
Separate bishop’s Transcripts exist from Blackburn Mellor Brook St Saviour beginning 1836
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Blackburn St Michael and All Angels
- Blackburn St Paul
- Blackburn St John
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MELLOR, a township, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles (N. W.) from Blackburn; containing 1844 inhabitants. The manor formerly belonged to the Southworths. In the last century it was the property of Mr. Ramsbottom, of Chorley, who sold the manor and estates to Mr. Bolton, of whom they were purchased by Henry Sudell, Esq., of Blackburn. In 1832 John Fowden Hindle, Esq., bought Mr. Sudell’s property in Mellor. The township is situated on the line of the Preston and Blackburn new road, and comprises by computation 1620 acres of well-cultivated land, whereof about 14 acres are wood and plantations, and the remainder arable and pasture: there is an excellent stone-quarry. A court baron was held here so late as 1826; a wake was formerly held, and a fair takes place occasionally. In the hamlet of Mellor-Brook, partly in this township, and partly in that of Balderstone, is a cotton-mill, built in 1834, and worked by Messrs. Crankshaw and Dall, who have neat residences adjacent; Prospect House is that of William Crankshaw, Esq. Woodfold Park forms the chief ornament of Mellor. Stanley House, the manorial Hall, was the residence of Mr. Ramsbottom.
A district church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in 1829, at a cost of £5275; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a tower and spire, and, standing on an eminence, is a conspicuous object in the scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn, with a net income of £150. At Mellor-Brook is St. Saviour’s chapel, purchased from the Independents in 1834 by means of subscription, and remodelled for the use of the Establishment; it is a neat structure with a spire, and cost £550. A district has been assigned to it, and the living is also a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar. The Wesleyans have two places of worship, one of them situated near the mill; and there are two schools, one of them at Mellor-Brook. On Mellor moor are the remains of a Roman encampment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Blackburn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Blackburn
- Poor Law Union: Blackburn
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York