Melling (near Hornby) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Wrayton, Wennington, Roeburndale, and Melling with Wrayton.
Alternative names: Melling near Hornby
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1625
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1677
- Bentham, Yorkshire
- Caton with Littledale
- Slaidburn, Yorkshire
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MELLING (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing, with the two chapelries of Arkholme with Cawood, and Hornby, and the townships of Farleton, Roeburndale, Wennington, and Wray with Botton, 2039 inhabitants, of whom 195 are in the township of Melling with Wrayton, 11 miles (N. by E.) from Lancaster. In the Conqueror’s survey, Mellinge, Hornebi, and Wennigetun, are placed in Yorkshire, as constituting one manor, in which Vlf, whose name is perpetuated in that of Wolfa Crag, had nine and a half carucates of land. The earliest record in which the parish is subsequently mentioned, is the charter of Roger de Poictou, who gave the church of Melling to his newly-founded priory of Lancaster. The parish is bounded on the south-east by the Yorkshire portion of the forest of Bowland, and is ten miles in length, and five in breadth, comprising 14,591 acres. It is watered by several rivers, the principal of which is the Lune, which, sometimes swelling into high floods, commits great damage by overflowing the flat holmes or low grounds adjacent to its banks. That portion of the parish to the west of this river is marked by fertile eminences, till, approaching Burton-in-Kendal, it runs into high, arid, limestone ridges. The portion stretching from the Greta river to the Wenning, is varied; on the north the country gradually declines to the river, and on the south it is enlivened by verdant heights. From the Wenning to the source of the Hindburn and Roeburn rivulets, the country is mountainous, and strikingly contrasts with the rich and variegated valleys of the Wenning and the Lune. Three-fourths of the cultivated land are in pasture; the grain upon the arable portion consists chiefly of oats. The township of Melling is beautifully situated on the Lune, and has an area of 1035 acres: there is a small freestone-quarry. The road from Lancaster to Kirkby-Lonsdale passes through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 1. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £113, with a house; impropriator, Pudsey Dawson, Esq. There are 31½ acres of glebe in Melling. The church is a large ancient structure, of rather heavy proportions, consisting of a nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; the tower is massive, and the arches in its sides are unusually large: the interior of the edifice was restored and beautified in 1760. At Arkholme, Hornby, and Wray, are separate incumbencies. A school has an endowment of £12 per annum, and several small bequests are appropriated to the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Farleton, a township, in the parish of Melling, union of Caton (under Gilbert’s act), hundred of Lonsdale, south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lancaster; containing 62 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Lancaster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Lonsdale
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Tunstall
- Poor Law Union: Lancaster
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York