Maghull is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from chapelry in Halsall Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1729
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAGHULL, a township-chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Liverpool and Ormskirk railway, 5 miles SSW of Ormskirk. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Liverpool. Acres, 2,073. Real property, £8,439. Pop., 1,144. Houses, 196. The property is much subdivided. Maghull Hall is the seat of B. French, Esq.; Manor House, of H. M’Elroy, Esq.; and Moss-Side House, of T. Harrison, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £155. Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church is a good plain edifice, of varions dates. There are a national school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ormskirk
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: North Meols
- Poor Law Union: Ormskirk
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York