Little Lever, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands three quarters of a mile SSW of Bradley Fold railway station, and 3 miles SSE by E of Bolton. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bolton. Acreage of township, 778, besides 29 of water; population, 5168. There are extensive collieries and chemical works, several cotton mills, paper mills, and bleaching works. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1866, includes the junction of the Bolton and Bury and the Bolton and Manchester Canals, and extends westward to the river Irwell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; gross value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The present church was built in 1865, and is a stone edifice in the Early English style, consisting of nave, aisles, and chancel, and designed to have a tower, which owing to the subsidence of the soil through colliery workings, cannot be completed. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Thomas Lever, an eminent preacher in the time of Edward VI., and Oliver Haywood the nonconformist, were natives. For parish council purposes the parish is divided into three wards, each having four members.
Source: Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales; Brabner, John Henry Fryden; Volume: 4; William Mackenzie, London. 1895.