Little Hulton is a chapelry of Deane Ancient Parish in Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Red Hulton.
- St Paul’s Peel
- Little Hulton St Paul Peel
- Peel by Bolton
- Peel St Paul
- Peel Chapel
- Peel, St Paul Little Hulton
- Deane by Bolton Peel, St Paul
Parish church: St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1760
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1772
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HULTON (LITTLE), a village and a township chapelry in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Halshaw-Moor and Farnworth r. station, and 3½ S of Bolton; is a considerable place, inhabited chiefly by weavers and colliers; and has a post office under Bolton. The chapelry is sometimes called Peel. Acres, 1, 470. Real property, £18, 005; of which £11, 084 are in mines, and £86 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 184; in 1861, 3, 390. Houses, 670. Peel Hall belongs to Harrison Blair, Esq.; and Kenyon Peel Hall, to Lord Kenyon. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, Lord Kenyon. The church is a plain building, with a bell turret. There are a school room used for worship, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HULTON, LITTLE, or Peel, a chapelry, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (S.) from Bolton; containing 3052 inhabitants. This place, though having the diminutive epithet, is among the most interesting and important of the townships in the parish. The Hultons were the early lords; but the late Duke of Bridgewater from the high, and as the result has proved, the just, estimate he formed of the value of the minerals, purchased the manor, which is now vested in his heirs. The township is situated on the old mail road from Manchester to Chorley, and on the Roman road from Manchester, and comprises 1470 acres; it stands elevated, and commands fine views of Cheshire. The soil is of good quality, and mostly in pasture and meadow; excellent coal is obtained, and also stone, of which the church at Tyldesley was built. A cotton-mill is in operation. Old Peel Hall is a fine specimen of Elizabethan architecture, belonging to Lord Kenyon, and another noble mansion called Peel Hall, built in 1846, in the same style, is the seat of Jacob Fletcher Fletcher, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Kenyon; net income, £161, with a house. The chapel, dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated in 1760, and enlarged in 1818. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Parish registers for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, Leigh, 1701-1839 Author: Church of England. St. Mary-the-Virgin Church (Leigh, Lancashire); Church of England. Chapelry of Astley (Lancashire); Church of England. Parish Church of Atherton (Lancashire); Church of England. Chapelry of Ellenbrook (Lancashire); Church of England. Chapelry of Little Hulton (Lancashire)
Lancashire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Bolton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Bolton le Moors
- Poor Law Union: Bolton
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York