Litherland Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1842 from Sefton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Litherland, Litherland with Seaforth, Waterloo Christ Church
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LITHERLAND, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Sefton parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on the coast, on the Southport and Liverpool railway, and on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4 miles N by W of Liverpool; and contains the hamlet of Seaforth and a portion of Waterloo, each of which has a station on the railway and a post office under Liverpool. Acres, 1,914; of which 75 are water. Real property, £19,961. Pop. in 1851, 2,252; in 1861, 3,632. Houses, 597. The increase of pop. arose from proximity to the harbour of Liverpool, and to the extension of trade there. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sefton; and much of the land, to him, and to the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone. Seaforth Hall and Seaforth House are chief residences; but a great many fine villas are in Seaforth and Waterloo, and command charming views of the Mersey. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and includes but a portion of the township; the rest of which is in the two chapelries of Waterloo. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £87. Patron, the Rector of Sefton. The church is a handsome structure of white stone; and consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and spire. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LITHERLAND, a township, in the parish of Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool; containing, in 1846, 1932 inhabitants. Stephen, Earl of Boulogne, who afterwards succeeded to the crown of England, granted to Robert de Molines his land in “Liderlant,” for 14s. per annum; and the Molyneux family have ever since retained possession of the lordship. The township is sometimes called Down Litherland, in contradistinction to Up Litherland, a hamlet in the parish of Aughton; it is bounded on the west by the bay of Liverpool, and is intersected by the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Here are two tanyards, and an asphalte factory. The tithes have been commuted for £219.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: West Derby
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Liverpool North
- Poor Law Union: West Derby
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York