Lindale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1734 from Cartmel Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Cartmel Lindale St Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1734
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINDALE, a chapelry, with a hamlet, in Upper Allithwaite township, Cartmel parish, Lancashire; on the W side of the estuary of the Kent, adjacent to the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles ENE of Cartmel. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. The acreage and pop. are returned with the township. Castle-Head, the seat of E. Mucklow, Esq., is the chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £71. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was rebuilt in 1828; consists of nave and chancel, with a small tower; and contains 300 sittings. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LINDALE, a chapelry, in the township of Upper Allithwaite, parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Milnthorpe. This place, the scenery of which is wild and rocky, lies on the road between Ulverston and Lancaster, with an arm of Morecambe bay running up to it. In the inlet is a beautiful island, about twelve acres in extent, on which is a handsome house, the property of John Thomson, Esq., who has embellished the island with a small but elegant Chinese temple. In Lindale is the residence of George Webster, Esq., whose grounds contain an extensive and curious collection of shrubs and evergreens, laid out with great taste; above the mansion is a tower, placed upon a lofty eminence. A neat house, called Blawith Cottage, belongs to Thomas Holme Maude, Esq.: it has a southern aspect, commanding an extensive view over the Lancaster sands. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £71; patron, the Earl of Burlington: there is a glebe of 26 acres of arable and pasture land, with a glebe-house. The church was rebuilt in 1828, and is a neat structure containing 115 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £125 in aid of the expense. There is a national school for boys.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
The register of Cartmel Priory : pt. III, 1724-1771 (marriages to 1790) : with marriages from Cartmel Fell, 1754-1790 and Lindale, 1754-1788 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Cartmel (Lancashire); Chapman, J. W.; Winn, D. I.
Lancashire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ulverstone
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Furness
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Furness and Cartmel
- Poor Law Union: Ulverston
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York