Alternative names: St. Thomas Leesfield
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Lees and Leesfield appear to be the same place because Leesfield does not appear on any topographic map, and the modern Leesfield church and primary school are in the middle of Lees. Hey is also known as Lees.
- Lydgate, Yorkshire
- Ashton under Lyne St Michael
- Oldham St James
- Saddleworth, Yorkshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEESFIELD, a parochial chapelry in Prestwich and Ashton-under-Lyne parishes, Lancashire; containing the post office village of Lees, and including a portion of Oldham borough. It was constituted in 1846. Pop. in 1861,5,358. Houses, 1,066. Pop. of the Prestwich portion, 1,902. Houses, 374. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848, at a cost of £5,200; is in the later English style; and has a fine tower. There are chapels for New Connexion Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Brethren. There are also national schools and a large British school; and the former were built shortly before 1865, at a cost of £1,500.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LEES, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 8½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Manchester, and 2 (E. S. E.) from Oldham, on the road to Huddersfield. This place is in the northern portion of Knott-Lanes, and so situated as to be more connected, locally, with Oldham than Ashton-under-Lyne. A part of the village, which is of some extent, is in Oldham chapelry, and another portion in Saddleworth, Yorkshire; the houses have been for the most part built within the last eighty years, and now number about 600. The population is chiefly employed in the numerous factories in the immediate vicinity, the establishment of which has given importance to the place. A literary society was formed in 1840. Fairs are held in the spring and autumn. The living of Lees is a curacy, net income, £150; patron, the Rector of Ashton. The chapel, dedicated to St. John, is a neat edifice of stone, erected in 1742. An ecclesiastical parish, named St. Thomas, Leesfield, was formed in 1846, by the Ecclesiastical Commission, out of the parish of Ashton and the parochial chapelry of Oldham: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the alternate gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester, with a net income of £150. The church cost £5000, and is a neat building with a square tower. There are several places of worship for dissenters. Near the village is a chalybeate spring, called Lea Spa.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York