Knowsley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Huyton Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1844
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1844
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
- St Helens
- Croxteth Park
- Derby, West St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KNOWSLEY, a township-chapelry in Huyton parish, Lancashire; 2½ miles N by W of Huyton r. station, and 3 NW by W of Prescot. Post town, Prescot. Acres, 4,750. Real property, £12,549; of which £1,367 are in mines, and £330 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,486; in 1861, 1,349. Houses, 243. The property all belongs to the Earl of Derby. Knowsley Hall is the Earl's seat; has been enlarged from time to time: includes portions of the period of Henry VII.; was fully restored, by the tenth earl, before 1735; presents imposing fronts, surmounted by round towers; contains portraits of all the Stanleys, and a large and valuable collection of paintings by the old masters; and was visited, in November 1865, by the Prince and Princess of Wales. The grounds around it comprise upwards of 2,000 acres; are enclosed by a stone wall upwards of 8 feet high, pierced by thirteen entrances; and contain tasteful gardens, many ancient oaks, and ornamental waters nearly a mile long. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is recent, cruciform, and handsome; and has a W broach spire. There are national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Prescot
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Prescot
Poor Law Union: Prescot
Hundred: West Derby