Kirkdale St Mary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Walton on the Hill St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Walton on the Hill Kirkdale St Mary
Parish church: St Mary (closed in 1973)
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1836
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1836
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.
- Walton on the Hill St Mary
- Liverpool St Matthew
- Everton Christ Church
- Liverpool St Martin in the Fields
- Liverpool St Matthias
- Everton St George
- Bootle St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIRKDALE, a township and a parochial-chapelry in Walton on the-Hill parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Merrsey, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, the Liverpool and Southport railway, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, within Liverpool borough, 2 miles N of Liverpool exchange; and has a post office under Liverpool, and railway stations at Sandhills and Bootle Lane. Acres, 1,132; of which 430 are water. Real property, in 1860, £63,674. Pop. in 1851, 9,893; in 1861, 16,135. Houses, 2,542. The increase of pop. arose from participation in the prosperity of Liverpool. Much of the surface is disposed in streets, continuous with Liverpool, and containing many good modern houses; but a considerable proportion is still unedificed. The Huskisson and the Canada docks, and the North Fort battery are on the Mersey; the Regent road, the Bootle road, the Derby road, the Stanley road, and the Walton road are main thoroughfares, parallel with the Mersey, and outward from the town; and the county jail, the Liverpool industrial schools, the Kirkdale washhouse, and the Kirkdale pleasure and recreation grounds, are in the NE. The county jail stands on an elevated site; was built in 1818; had, in 1864, capacity for 472 male, and 120 female prisoners; and was greatly enlarged in 1864-5. The industrial schools were built in 1843-5, at a cost of £32,000; are in the Tudor style; have capacity for about 1,200 children; and are conducted at an annual cost about of £11,000. The K. recreation grounds are open to persons of all classes and all ages. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and is less extensive than the township. Pop. in 1861, 14,730. Houses, 2,329. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. A new church was about to be erected in 1866. The church was built in 1836, and enlarged in 1844. The North Shore national school is used as a chapel of ease. There are a United Presbyterian church, an Independent chapel, two Wesleyan chapels, a Welsh church, two national schools, an industrial ragged school and free church for the poor, built in 1862, at a cost of nearly £4,000, and a Roman Catholic institution, called the Sisters' Home. A cemetery, free to all denominations, is in Walton road.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: West Derby
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Liverpool North
Poor Law Union: West Derby
Hundred: Liverpool Borough