Kirkby is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from chapelry in Walton on the Hill St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Simonswood.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Walton on the Hill St Mary
- St Helens
- Derby, West St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIRKBY, a township-chapelry in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Bury railway, 7½ miles NNE of Liverpool. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Prescot. Acres, 3,920. Real property, £7,421. Pop., 1,415. Houses, 245. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Earl of Sefton; and has belonged to his family since the time of William II. An extensive tract, called Kirkby Moss, lies in the E, and extends beyond the chapelry toward Windle. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. Patron, the Earl of Sefton. The church was rebuilt in 1766, and contains a Norman font. There are a national school, and charities £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: West Derby
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Prescot
Poor Law Union: West Derby
Hundred: West Derby