Huyton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Tarbock, Roby, Little Tarbock, and Huyton with Roby.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1578
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Huyton
Historical Descriptions of Huyton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HUYTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub district, in Prescot district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Manchester and Liverpool railway, 5½ miles E of Liverpool; contains, with its neighbourhood, many good houses; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The township comprises 1,630 acres. Real property, £10,593; of which £369 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,295; in 1861, 1,612. Houses, 283. The parish contains also the townships of Knowsley, Roby, and Tarbock. Acres, 9,807. Real property, £32,942; of which £1,367 are in mines, and £699 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 4,054. Houses, 724. Much of the land, with Knowsley Hall, belongs to the Earl of Derby. Tarbock is the property of the Earl of Sefton. The Hazels is the seat of Sir Thomas B. Berch, Bart. Stone is quarried; and about 200 acres are peat moss. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester Value, £690. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and has two good memorial windows, and an ancient carved oak screen. The p. curacies of Knowsley and Roby are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics, national schools for Huyton and Knowsley, and charities £40. The Independent chapel is a recent and handsome edifice, in the pointed style. The subdistrict contains also Thingwall hamlet. Pop., 4, 094. Houses, 732.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TARBOCK, a township, in the parish of Huyton, union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Liverpool ; containing 740 inhabitants. It comprises about 2245 acres, of which 2200 are arable and pasture, and 25 woodland; coal is abundant in the vicinity, and many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Prescot
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Prescot
Poor Law Union: Prescot
Hundred: West Derby