Hulme St George is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1836 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: St George’s and Medlock Street.
Parish church: St. George
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1892
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1828
- Salford St Bartholomew
- Manchester St Matthew, Campfield
- Stretford St Matthew
- Manchester St Peter
- Chorlton upon Medlock All Saints
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Hulme St Mark
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HULME, a township, eight parochial chapelries, and a sub-district, in Manchester parish and Chorlton district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Irwell and on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, at the termination of the Bridgewater canal, 1¼ mile SW of the centre of Manchester; and is all within Manchester borough, and under the Manchester police. Acres, 440. Real property, £240,913; of which £77,916 are in the canal. Pop. in 1851, 53,482; in 1861, 68,433. Houses, 13,487. The increase of pop. arose from participation in the prosperity and extension of Manchester. Hulme Hall, on a bank above the Irwell, was the seat of the ancient baronet family of Prestwich, the last of whom was a profound antiquary, and died in absolute poverty; it passed to the Moseleys and the Blands, the transition to the latter being through Lady Ann Bland, the female Nash of Manchester, in the time of Queen Anne and the careful preserver of many Roman antiquities; and it went from the Blands to George Lloyd, Esq., and was sold to the Duke of Bridgewater. Most of the township is now covered with streets, and with other edified places, lying compact with Manchester and forming part of the town; and the rest of it is all town outskirt. The streets have a variety of character; but they mostly run in straight lines and cross one another at right or wide angles; and they include some spacious thoroughfares, and contain very many good houses. The Pomona garden lies in the outskirt; is much frequented by the labouring classes of Manchester; and presents to them many attractions. A public park, of about 63 acres, was about to be formed in 1868. The town hall, in Stretford road, was built in 1865; is an edifice in the Italian style; has a frontage of 94 feet, with two wings; s 96 feet deep and 65 feet high; and includes a spacious entrance hall, committee rooms and offices for the officials of the township, apartments occupied by a free library, and a great hall handsomely decorated, and capable of accommodating upwards of 2,000 persons. Baths and wash houses, close to Stretford New road, partly on the site of the old Chorlton workhouse, were erected in 1860, at a cost of about £12,000; present, to Leaf street, a two story front of 114 feet in length in the Lombardic style, with an attic story in the centre; have a depth of about 117½ feet; and include two swimming baths, well arranged bathing appliances, and well contrived wash houses and laundries. The cavalry barracks are in Chester road, not far from St. George’s church; and they have accommodation for upwards of 300 men and horses, besides officers, and include extensive grounds for military exercise. The Hulme dispensary was founded in 1831; and it gave treatment to upwards of 500 patients in its fourth year. The Independent theological college, though within Withington township, is adjacent to Hulme; was removed hither from Blackburn in 1842; is a noble ediice, partly in a quasi-Moorish style, but chiefly in the collegiate Gothic style; comprises a salient centre, massive wings, and an interior, spacious, cloistered square; has a lofty tower, originally intended as an observatory, and commanding a splendid view of the surrounding country; includes residences of president and professors, and accommodation for about 50 students; was altogether erected at a cost of about £20,000; has seven exhibitions, of from £25 to £32 14s., tenable variously one, two, and three years; and, in the year 1864-5, had 42 students and an income of £2,766. The township generally partakes in the business of Manchester, and contains a number and variety of factories; and, in particular, it has, near St. George’s church, a small ware manufactory, which is one of the sights of Manchester. The parochial chapelries are St. George, constituted in 1828; St. Mark, in 1852; Holy Trinity, in 1843; St. Paul, in 1856; St. John and St. Mary, in 1858; St. Philip, in 1861; and St. Michael, in 1864. Pop. of St. G., 18,831; of St. Mark, 5,637; of H. T., 12,068; of St. Paul, 6,375; of St. J., 8,370; of St. Mary, 6,730; of St. Philip, 8,711; of St. Michael, 8,964. The livings are all rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. G., £350; of St. Mark, £258; of H. T., £300; of St. Paul, £458; of St. John, £300; of St. Mary, £362; of St. Philip, £300; of St. Michael, £217. Patrons of St. G. and H. T., the Dean and Chapter of Manchester; of St. Mark, alternately the Crown and the Bishop; of St. John, the Bishop; of St. Mary, Lord Egerton; of St. Paul, St. Philip, and St. Michael, Trustees. St. Philip’s church was built in 1860, at a cost of £8,000, nearly all defrayed by the Birley family; is in the decorated English style, of 5 bays, 117 feet long, and 50 feet wide; and has a tower and spire, 159 feet high. St. Michael’s church was built in 1864, also by the Birleys, at a cost of £4,500; and is in the early English style. Another church, St. Gabriel’s, was erected in 1869. There are chapels for Independents, Methodists, Bible Christians, and Roman Catholics. One of the Methodist chapels, in Boston-street, is an edifice of 1863, in the Ita1ian style; and another, in the same street, was built in 1866, at a cost of about £2,500, and is of brick with stone dressings. There are varions public schools; and those connected with St. Philip’s church were built at a cost of £3,000.—The sub-district contains also the township of Moss side. Acres, 870. Pop., 71,128. Houses, 13,922.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HULME, a chapelry, in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; containing 50,886 inhabitants. It is separated from the city of Manchester by the river Medlock; the Irwell flows on the west, and the Duke of Bridgewater’s canal passes through. The area comprises 440 acres of land. There are several cotton-mills, employing a large number of hands; and here are situated a depôt in connexion with the Manchester gas-works; and the Cavalry Barracks, built prior to the year 1804, and which will accommodate 500 men. An act was passed in 1834 for the regulation and improvement of the township. It is within the parliamentary and corporate borough of Manchester, and is divided into two wards. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £300; the patronage and appropriation belong to the Dean and Canons of the Cathedral of Manchester. The chapel, dedicated to St. George, a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a tower 135 feet high, was built in 1828, at an expense, including furnishing &c., of £15,000, provided by grant from the Church Commissioners. The interior is elegantly arranged, and has a grand and imposing effect; the roof is elaborately groined, and enriched with bosses and flowers, and the altar highly decorated, having above it three stainedglass windows, recently inserted at an expense of £280. Hulme also contains a church called the Holy Trinity; and in 1846, a district named St. Mark’s was formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and other denominations of dissenters; and numerous daily, Sunday, and infant schools. Among the public institutions are, the workhouse for the Chorlton union; and an asylum for female penitents, for which the present edifice was built in 1837. Sculptured stones of early date have been discovered in the chapelry.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Chorlton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Manchester
- Poor Law Union: Chorlton
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York