Hornby Lancashire Family History Guide

Hornby is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1741 from chapelry in Melling Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Farleton.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St Margaret

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1742
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1742

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Hornby

Historical Descriptions of Hornby

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HORNBY, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Melling parish, Lancashire. The village stands at the confluence of the Wenning and the Lune rivers, adjacent to the Little Northwestern railway, 8½ miles NE by E of Lancaster; is neatly built; commands beautiful scenery along the valleys; is sometimes visited by tourists; has a station on the railway, a post office under Lancaster, and an inn; is a seat of petty sessions; was formerly a market town; and has still cattle fairs on every alternate Tuesday of the summer months. The township comprises 2,115 acres. Real property, £4,066. Pop., 317. Houses, 75. The manor belonged, in the 12th century, to Nicholas de Montbegon; passed to the Stanleys, Lords Monteagle; and belongs now to John Foster, Esq. Hornby Castle, the manorial seat, was founded by N. de Montbegon; retains two towers built by one of the Lords Monteagle and by Lord Wemyss; has undergone recent extensive renovations and improvements; and stands on an eminence, overlooking the rich surrounding scenery. The estate was the subject of a famous litigation, called "the Great Will Cause," begun in 1826. Hornby Hall is the seat of John Murray, Esq. A Roman mound is near the Lune. A Premonstratensian priory, a cell to Croxton abbey, was anciently here; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Stanleys; and the remains of it are now a farm-house. The chapelry was constituted a parish in 1859, and is larger than the township. Pop., 455. Houses, 98. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. Patron, John Foster, Esq. The church is ancient; has a chancel, and an octagonal tower, built by the first Lord Monteagle, after the battle of Flodden; and contains a tablet to Dr. Lingard, the historian. The shaft of an ancient cross is in the churchyard. A small Roman Catholic chapel, to the W of the church, was served by Dr. Lingard.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Farleton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FARLETON, a township in Melling parish, Lancashire; near the river Lune, 8¼ miles NE of Lancaster. Acres, 1, 036. Real property, £1, 256. Pop., 75. Houses, 14.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833

Farleton, co. Pal. of Lancaster.

P. T. Lancaster (240) 8m. NE b E. Pop. 91.

A township in the parish of Milling [sic] and hundred of Lonsdale, south of the sands. Here are the small remains of a castle, which in the fifteenth century was held by a younger branch of the Harrington family, but its founder, and the period of its erection, are not known.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Registers

The Registers of Hornby 1742 to 1789 - View Online

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

FreeReg - Parish Registers - Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Lancashire Online Parish Clerk

Administration

County: Lancashire
Civil Registration District: Lancaster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Lonsdale
Diocese: Manchester
Rural Deanery: Tunstall
Poor Law Union: Caton Gilbert Union
Hundred: Lonsdale
Province: York