Holme St John is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1843 from Whalley Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Cliviger, Holme in Cliviger
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1742
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1792
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Heptonstall, Yorkshire
- Lane Bridge
- Burnley St Peter
- Cross Stone, Yorkshire
- Halifax St James, Yorkshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOLME, a chapelry, with a village, in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Rose-Grove and Todmorden branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the sources of the rivers Irwell and East and West Calder, at the E verge of the county, 4 miles SE by S of Burnley. It has a station on the railway; and its posttown is Burnley. It is conterminate with the township of Cliviger, and was constituted in 1842. Acres, 6,160. Real property, £14,950; of which £7,870 are in mines, and £179 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,441; in 1861, 1,770. Houses, 346. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £101. Patron, T. H. Whitaker, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1788; contains tablets of the Whitaker, Hargreaves, Ormerod, and Edmondson families; and has a vault of the Whitakers, in which lie the remains of the Lancashire historian, Dr. Whitaker. There are Wesleyan chapels at Mereclough and Cornholme, and a national school near the church. The Cornholme Wesleyan chapel is an edifice in the pointed style, built in 1853.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CLIVIGER, a chapelry, in the parochial chapelry of Burnley, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Burnley; containing 1395 inhabitants. This place was granted by Henry de Lacy, who died in 1159, to the abbot of Kirkstall. Sir Ralph de Elland claimed it as part of his manor of Rochdale; and the then abbot, Lambert, who was elected in 1191, admitting the justice of his claims, the grange of Accrington was substituted for “Clivachir” by Roger de Lacy. The Clivachers also possessed lands here; of this family, Cecilia de Clivacher, about the reign of Edward I., appears to have been the last. Various other families subsequently held property in the manor, and among them were the de Holmes, who held the portion now known as Holme, in Cliviger. The chapelry comprises 6631 acres, whereof 1119 are common or waste. The river Irwell has its rise here, running to Bacup, and thence to Bury and Manchester, a circuitous course of twenty-five miles. The village lies on the road from Todmorden to Burnley. The living is now a district incumbency; net income, £101; patrons, the family of Whitaker. The chapel, situated at Holme, and of the time of Henry VII., was rebuilt in 1788. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is conducted on the national plan. William Whitaker, a controversial divine, was born at Holme in the year 1547.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Burnley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Whalley
- Poor Law Union: Burnley
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York