Holcombe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1725 from Bury St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Tottington Lower End.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1837
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1730
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HOLCOMBE, a chapelry, in the township of Tottington Lower-End, parish and union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Bury; containing 3000 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises a considerable area, of which the surface is mountainous, the scenery most extensive, and the soil various. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Bury to Blackburn, and on the declivity of a hill from the summit of which are good views of Manchester and the adjacent country. At the foot of the hill, the cotton-trade is carried on to a very great extent; there are numerous mills, factories, and printing establishments on a large scale, with every requisite for the prosecution of the works, the oldest of which were begun and carried on for many years by the late Sir Robert Peel, Bart. Coal is produced in abundance from the neighbouring mines, and is also wrought on Holcombe Hill, where are quarries supplying good stone for building, and flagstones. The river Irwell flows along the eastern side of the village; and there is railway communication with Bury and Manchester. On Castle Hill is the ancient court-house wherein the courts of the royal manor of Tottington were formerly held, and where courts leet and baron are still held twice in the year; manorial courts, also, are held by the Duke of Buccleuch as lord of the manor, in April and October. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury, with a net income of £150, and a house. The chapel, situated on Castle Hill, is remarkable for the thickness of its walls, and is supposed to be a remaining portion of the ancient castle from which the hill derived its name. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Presbyterians, and Swedenborgians have places of worship. In 1827, Miss Bently bequeathed to the minister and wardens £200 for the instruction of children, and for distribution among the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Bury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Prestwich
- Poor Law Union: Bury
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York