Gressingham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1725 from chapelry in Lancaster St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Eskrigg.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1710
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
- Bolton le Sands
- Over Kellet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRESSINGHAM, a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Lune, 2 miles NW of Hornby r. station, and 8 NE of Lancaster. It includes Eskrigg hamlet; and its post town is Hornby, under Lancaster. Acres, 1,934. Real property, £2,244. Pop. in 1851, 187; in 1861, 158. Houses, 34. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the removal of an academy. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is ancient, of various dates; and was partially rebuilt in 1861.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Lancaster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Amounderness
Poor Law Union: Caton Gilbert Union