Great Sankey is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1728 from chapelry in Prescot Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Penketh.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1728
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1769
- Warrington St Paul
- Burton Wood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SANKEY (Great), a township and a chapelry in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Sankey canal, the Grand Junction railway, and the Warrington and Liverpool railway, 2½ miles W of Warrington; and has a station on the latter railway, and a post-office under Warrington, both of the name of Sankey-Bridges. Acres, 1,909. Real property, £3,842. Pop., 563. Houses, 108. The manor belongs to the Hon. L. Powys. Barrow Hall is the residence of J. A. Wright, Esq. railway viaducts here cross the S. canal; and that of the Grand Junction railway has 9 arches. The chapelry was originally conterminate with the township, but was greatly extended in 1865. Pop., 1,347. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Hon. L. Powys. The church is an old brick building. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Warrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Prescot
Poor Law Union: Warrington
Hundred: West Derby