Goosnargh is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1721 from chapelry in Kirkham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Whittingham, Newsham, and Inglewhite.
Alternative names: Goosnargh with Newsham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1639
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOOSNARGH, a township and a chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. The township is conjoint with Newsham; lies near the Lancaster and Preston railway, 3 miles NE of Barton and Broughton r. station, and 6¾ NNE of Preston; and has a post office, of the name of Goosnargh, under Preston. Acres, 9,290. Real property, £10,275. Pop., 1,307. Houses, 256. The chapelry excludes Newsham, but includes Whittingham and Inglewhite. Rated property, £8,031. Pop., 1,171. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron; Christ Church, Oxford. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics. Bushell's hospital for decayed gentry, with an edifice resembling a mansion, has £855 from endowment; a grammar school has £65; the Whitechapel schools have £42; and other charities have £111 .
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Preston
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
Rural Deanery: Amounderness
Poor Law Union: Preston