Goodshaw is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1741 from Whalley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Gambleside, Love Clough, Crawshawbooth, and Crawshaw Booth.
Alternative names: Goldshaw, Whalley Goodshaw St Mary and All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1732
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1699
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOODSHAW, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire, 2 miles NE of Haslingden r. station. It was constituted in 1850; and its post town is Rawtenstall, under Manchester. Rated property, £12,204. Pop., 4,808. Houses, 902. The property is much subdivided. There are cotton factories, calico printing works, collieries, and quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church dates from 1530; was rebuilt in 1829; and has an old stone font. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a mechanics' institute, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Haslingden
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Whalley
Poor Law Union: Burnley