Golborne is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1850 from Lowton Ecclesiastical Parish.
Parish church: St Thomas
Parish registers begin: 1849
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Golborne
- Ashton in Makerfield
- Wigan All Saints
- Newton in Makerfield St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOLBORNE, a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Newton railway, 2 miles NNE of Newton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. It was formerly a township of Winwick parish. Acres, 1,634. Real property, £6,683; of which £1,038 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,910; in 1861, 2,776. Houses, 513. The increase of pop. arose from the demand for operatives in cotton factories. The property is subdivided. Golborne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1863, a Church of England school, and charities £36.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Golborn, 3 m. N. Winwick. P. 1657
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Baptisms - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks
Marriages - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks
Burials - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks
Electors - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Leigh
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Winwick
- Poor Law Union: Leigh
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York