Glasson is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1846 from Lancaster St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1840
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1840
- Lancaster St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GLASSON, a hamlet and a chapelry in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The hamlet lies on the river Lune, 3 miles NW of Galgate r. station, and 5 SSW of Lancaster; and has a post office under Lancaster. Two wet docks here, communicating with the Lune, accommodate vessels discharging cargoes into barges for Lancaster; and a canal goes hence, by a short route, into junction with the Lancaster canal. The chapelry comprises the extra-parochial tract of Cockers and Abbey, and parts of the parishes of Cockerham and Lancaster; and was constituted in 1841. Pop., 857. Houses, 153. Pop. of the part in Lancaster parish, 648. Houses, 119. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir James Fitzgerald, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there is an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Lancaster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Amounderness
Poor Law Union: Lancaster
Hundred: Lancaster Borough