Garston is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1729 from chapelry in Childwall Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Speke.
Parish registers begin: 1777
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Garston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Liverpool. The township includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3,293; of which 1,665 are water. Real property, £31,643. Pop. in 1851, 2,756; in 1861, 4,720. Houses, 763. The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2,016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138. Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Garston, 5½ miles S.E. Liverpool. P. 1888
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: West Derby
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Prescot
- Poor Law Union: West Derby
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York