Flookburgh is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1723 from Cartmel Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1828
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1859
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FLOOKBURGH, a village and a chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire. The village stands ½ a-mile SSE of Cark r. station, and 5½ ESE of Ulverston; was once a market town; has a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel, and two good inns; and is frequented by persons using the waters of Holywell medicinal spring, about 2 miles distant. The chapelry includes the village, and appears to be conterminate with Lower Holker township. Acres, 2,130. Rated property, £4,040. Pop., 1,160. Houses, 243. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £121. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1838.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ulverstone
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Furness and Cartmel
Poor Law Union: Ulverston