Farnworth, Lancashire Family History Guide

Farnworth is a chapelry of Prescot Ancient Parish in Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Widnes, Ditton, Cronton, and Bold.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FARNWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the St. Helen’s and Runcorn Gap railway, 2¾ miles N by E of Runcorn Gap, and 4¾ SE of Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. The chapelry is partly in Warrington district; and was constituted in 1859. Pop. of the Warrington d. part, 1,539; of the whole, 6,447. Houses in the W. d. part, 283; in the whole, 1,191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. Another church, at Widnes Dock, was built in 1858, and designed with a view to enlargement. There is a free gammar-school. William Smith, the founder of Brasenose college, Oxford, and bishop of Lincoln, was born in this chapelry, at Peel House. The sub-district comprises the townships of Widnes, Cronton, Ditton, and Bold. Acres, 10,861. Pop., 8,879. Houses, 1,599.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Lancashire
  • Civil Registration District: Prescot
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Prescot
  • Poor Law Union: Prescot
  • Hundred: West Derby
  • Province: York