Everton St George is a chapelry of Walton on the Hill St Mary Ancient Parish in Lancashire.
Parish church: St George
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1814
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1814
- Walton on the Hill St Mary
- Everton St Peter
- Everton Christ Church
- Liverpool Holy Trinity
- Kirkdale St Mary
- West Derby, St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EVERTON, a suburban township, seven chapelries, and a sub-district, in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Liverpool; lies within Liverpool borough, on the NE side of the town, contiguous to Kirkdale; and has a post office under Liverpool, 1½ mile distant from the Liverpool head-office. It had a village older than Liverpool, situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view over the Mersey to Wales and the Irish channel; but it takes its present character from the growth and prosperity of Liverpool; has long been a favourite residence of many merchants; and comprises numerous airy streets and numerous elegant villas. It contains the cottage occupied by Prince Rupert in 1644; a mansion, called St. Domingo, built with money accruing from a French prize ship; the workhouse of West Derby district; the Liverpol hospital for infections diseases, about to be rebuilt in 1869; the Liverpool collegiate institution; several national or other public schools; a public cemetery, formed in 1825; St. George’s church, built in 1814, at a cost of £12,000; four churches built between 1829 and 1857; St. Saviour’s church, in the Lombardic style, at a cost of £5,400, built in 1866; Emmanuel church, of very costly character, built in 1867; two Scotch Presbyterian chapels, built in 1863 and 1866; several English dissenting chapels; and a Roman Catholic church, designated St. Edward’s college church, built in 1859 to the extent of three eastern chapels, measuring internally 280 feet in length, possessing fine features of the mediæval style of architecture, and designed as part of an intended cathedral. Acres of the township, 700. Real property, £162,758; of which £742 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 25,883; in 1861, 54,848. Houses, 9,288. The chapelries are St. George, St. Augustine, St. Chrysostom, St. Peter, Christchurch, St. Saviour, and Emmanuel. The living of St. Chrysostom is a vicarage, and the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. George and St. Augustine, each £300; of St. Chrysostom, £400; of the others, not reported. Patron of Christchurch, T. B. Horsfall, Esq.; of Emmanuel, I - D. Anderson, Esq.; of St. Peter, not reported; of the others, Trustees. The sub-district includes also the township of Kirkdale. Acres, 1,832. Pop., 70, 983. Houses, 11, 830.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
EVERTON, a township, in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Liverpool; containing, in 1841, 9221 inhabitants, and in 1846, 15,726. This place, styled Hireton in Domesday book, claims a more remote history than Liverpool, to which it now forms an elegant suburb. We find it exempt from the imposition of Danegelt instituted by Ethelred, and it is mentioned in 1066 as having been then given by the Conqueror to his cousin, Roger de Poictiers. An ancient fire-beacon, coeval with the Tower at Liverpool, stood here for many centuries; but it has now disappeared, and the site is occupied by St. George’s church. During the siege of Liverpool, Prince Rupert occupied a cottage here, which was held in great veneration, until it was at length pulled down in 1845: a representation of the building, as it appeared just before its demolition, is given in Herdman’s “Ancient Liverpool.” The agreeable village or suburb of Everton, denominated, from the salubrity of its air and the pleasantness of its situation, the Montpelier of Lancashire, is seated on a bold eminence opposite to the bay of Bootle; it is about a mile and a half from the Mersey, and three miles from the mouth of that river. The prospects are very beautiful; and from the western parts of Everton Hill may be seen the fertile lands of Cheshire, the mountains of Wales, the river Mersey, and the expanding Irish Sea with its numberless vessels. From its proximity to Liverpool, it has become the residence of many respectable and wealthy families; numerous streets and crescents have been formed, and the township is studded with handsome detached mansions and villas. Among these may be mentioned Bronte House, called after Lord Nelson, built of red stone, and belonging to John George Woodhouse, Esq.
The district church of St. George was erected in 1813, at an expense of £11,500, on a site given by James Atherton, Esq.; it is an elegant structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles. The framework and tracery of the windows and doors, the groinings of the roof, the pulpit, and all the ornamental parts, are of cast-iron; and the east window, of which the iron tracery is exceedingly rich, is embellished with stained glass. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £300; patron, the Rector of Walton. St. Augustine’s church, Shaw-street, was erected in 1830, at an expense of £7500; it is in the Egyptian style, having an octagonal tower with pinnacles at the angles, surmounted by a cross. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of five Trustees; net income, £250. Christchurch, in Boundary-lane, was built in 1848, as a memorial of the late Charles Horsfall, Esq., mayor of Liverpool in 1832, at the united cost of his surviving children: the site, and the erection of the building, amounted to £13,000. It is a beautiful structure in the later English style, with a tower and spire; the interior is of chaste design, and the east window of rich painted glass. The living is in the gift of Trustees, and is endowed with £1000. Another church has been erected, by subscription.
In Salisbury-street is the Roman Catholic church of St. Francis Xavier; it is in the pointed style, and is 150 feet in length and 60 in breadth. St. Edward’s Roman Catholic College was established by the Right Rev. Dr. Brown, R. C. Bishop, in 1843; youths intended for secular pursuits or the learned professions, distinct from the priesthood, here receive instruction from the ablest professors in the Greek, Latin, and modern languages, and the more elegant accomplishments, at a moderate charge. The Rev. John Henry Fisher is president, and the Rev. Alexander Goss vice-president. The college is a large stone mansion, formerly known as St. Domingo House, built by Hugh Sparling, Esq., with princely splendour, and seated on the highest point of Everton, commanding a fine view of the Mersey and the adjacent country. It is admirably adapted for the purpose of education, and has been fitted up in a manner conducive to the health and comfort of the students: a chapel is attached to the establishment. The Crescent Chapel, belonging to the Independents, was built in 1846, in the Grecian style, at a cost of £9000; near it is a fine range of school-buildings, erected at an expense of £5000, and opened the following year. Among the other schools are two sets of day and Sunday schools, for boys, girls, and infants, attached to St. George’s, and supported by subscription. Within the limits of the township, bordering upon Low Hill, in West Derby, is the Necropolis, a burial-place formed in 1825, at a cost of about £8000; the entrance is in the Grecian style, and the area of the inclosure five acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: West Derby
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Liverpool North
- Poor Law Union: West Derby
- Hundred: Liverpool Borough
- Province: York