Elton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Bury St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Summerseat and Starling.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1874
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1843
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ELTON, an ecclesiastical district and a township, in the parish, union, and parliamentary borough, of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; containing 5202 inhabitants. This township extends on its south-eastern side into the town of Bury, and is separated by the river Irwell from the township of Walmersley. The surface of the land is undulated, the soil alluvial near the Irwell, and clay in other parts, and the scenery picturesque: from the higher grounds most extensive views are obtained. Two collieries and three stone-quarries are in operation. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton and woollen mills on the banks of the river, and in the extensive bleaching-works of John Whitehead, Esq., whose family have been located here for more than two centuries. The cotton-works at Wood-Hill have two water-wheels of 140-horse power, but when the river is low, steam-power is used. At Hinds are logwood-works, with two water-wheels of 40horse power; and these also are worked by steam, when the stream fails. The Wood-Hill and Hinds mills are the property of Messrs. Thomas Calrow and Sons, who have mills also in Walmersley township: the whole of the persons employed are resident on the premises, and their habitations form quite a village, on the banks of the Irwell. Brandlesholme Hall, the ancient seat of the Greenhalghes, with its gabled front, apparently of the age of Elizabeth, is built in the usual ornamental style, of wood, stone, and brick; but its splendour is eclipsed by the more modern mansions which surround it. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury; net income, £150, with a house. The church, All Saints’, was erected in 1843, on a site presented by the Earl of Derby; it is in the Norman style, with a square tower, and cost £3000, entirely raised by subscription. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £84. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a national school; and a Sunday school: the latter was established in 1806, and a house for it was recently built, at a cost of between £300 and £400.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Bury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Bury
- Poor Law Union: Bury
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York