Droylsden is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Newton All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Clayton, Little Droylsden, and Fairfield.
Parish registers begin:
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Droylsden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DROYLSDEN, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Rochdale canal and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester. It includes the hamlet of Little Droylsden, and the villages of Fairfield and Clayton; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,611. Real property, £25,121. Pop., 8,798. Houses, 1,718. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848; an Independent chapel, in 1860; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1866; and there are Moravian and P. Methodist chapels, and British schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Fairfield, a hamlet, in the township of Droylsden, parish of Manchester, union of Ashton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles (E. by S.) from Manchester; containing 900 inhabitants. The Moravians have an establishment here: the ground plot forms a spacious square area, the houses in which are neatly built of brick; and there is also a chapel with a burial-ground.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Fairfield, co. Pal. of Lancaster.
P.T. Manchester (182) 4 m. E. Pop. with Droylsden Township.
A hamlet in the parish of Manchester and hundred of Salford, in which the cotton-manufacture is carried on to a very great extent. Here is a settlement of the Moravians, established about the year 1775, and so considerable as to form a village in itself; they have a commodious chapel, provided with an excellent organ.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
- Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York