Didsbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1727 from chapelry in Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Chorlton cum Hardy
- Stockport St Thomas
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Heaton Norris
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DIDSBURY, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Chorlton district, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Manchester parish; was constituted in 1838; lies on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3 miles W of Stockport; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,527. Real property, £13,116. Pop., 1,829. Houses, 364. The property is much subdivided. Didsbury House is a chief residence. There are large cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180. Patrons, Trustees. The church is old but very good; and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist College. There are also schools with £51 from endowment; and other charities with £17. The sub-district contains also three other townships. Acres, 5, 948. Pop., 5, 904. Houses, 978.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Chorlton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
Poor Law Union: Chorlton