Denton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1770 from a chapelry in Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Haughton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1700
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hyde St George
- Denton Christ Church
- Heaton Norris
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENTON, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district in Manchester parish, Ashton-under-Lyne district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Tame, and on the Staleybridge and Stockport railway, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3½ miles NNE of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,647. Real property, £8,997; of which £2,000 are in mines. Pop., 3,335. Houses, 675. Coal is worked, and hat-making carried on. Denton Hall, now a farm-house, was the seat of the Hollands. The chapelries are St. Lawrence and Christ-Church; the former constituted in 1854, the latter in 1846. Rated property, £5,209 and £7,683. Pop., 3,127 and 3,579. Houses, 623 and 739. The property of St. Lawrence is divided among a few; that of Christ-Church, much sub-divided. Both livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £203 and £221. Patrons of St. L., the Earl of Wilton; of C., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church of C. was built in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a mechanics' institute, and two national schools. The sub-district comprises the townships of Denton and Haughton. Acres, 2,777. Pop., 6,706. Houses, 1,762.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne