Denton Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1846 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Haughton.
Parish church: Christ Church
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1848
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1848
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hyde St George
- Gorton St James
- Newton in Mottram
- Heaton Norris
- Dukinfield St Mark
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENTON, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district in Manchester parish, Ashton-under-Lyne district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Tame, and on the Staleybridge and Stockport railway, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3½ miles NNE of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,647. Real property, £8,997; of which £2,000 are in mines. Pop., 3,335. Houses, 675. Coal is worked, and hat-making carried on. Denton Hall, now a farm-house, was the seat of the Hollands. The chapelries are St. Lawrence and Christ-Church; the former constituted in 1854, the latter in 1846. Rated property, £5,209 and £7,683. Pop., 3,127 and 3,579. Houses, 623 and 739. The property of St. Lawrence is divided among a few; that of Christ-Church, much sub-divided. Both livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £203 and £221. Patrons of St. L., the Earl of Wilton; of C., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church of C. was built in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a mechanics' institute, and two national schools. The sub-district comprises the townships of Denton and Haughton. Acres, 2,777. Pop., 6,706. Houses, 1,762.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashton under Lyne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashton Under Lyne
Poor Law Union: Ashton Under Lyne