Deane is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire. Little Hulton is a chapelry of Deane.
Other places in the parish include: Rumworth, Over Hulton, Middle Hulton, and Heaton.
Alternative names: Deane by Bolton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Halliwell St Peter
- Bolton le Moors Holy Trinity
- Bolton le Moors Emmanuel
- West Houghton
- Little Hulton
- Bolton le Moors St Peter
- Farnworth and Kearsley
- Tydesley cum Shakerley
- Bolton le Moors Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEANE, a village and a parish in Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Bolton and Leigh railway, 1¾ mile SW of Bolton; and has a post office under Bolton. The parish contains also the townships of Kersley, Farmworth, Little Hulton, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Rumworth, Westhoughton, Heaton, Halliwell, and Horwich. Acres, 19,340. Real property, £157,633; of which £46,743 are in mines. and £642 in quarries. Pop., 35,746. Houses, 7,077. The property, in many parts, is much subdivided. Large part of the population is employed in cotton factories, bleach-fields, and coal-mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and was recently enlarged. The vicarages of Halliwell-St. Peter, Halliwell-St Paul, Westhoughton, Wingates, and Horwich, and the p. curacy of Peel or Little Hulton, are separate benefices. Marsh, the martyr, was a native and vicar.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bolton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Bolton le Moors
Poor Law Union: Bolton