Colne is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire, created in 1820 from Whalley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Monkride and Barnside, Monkroyd and Barnside, Blacko, Foulridge, and Barrowford Booth.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Newchurch in Pendle
- Colne Christ Church
- Kelbrook, Yorkshire
- Lothersdale, Yorkshire
- Thornton in Craven, Yorkshire
- Cowling, Yorkshire
- Barnoldswick, Yorkshire
- Great Marsden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLNE, a town, a township, three chapelries, and a sub-district in Whalley parish, Burnley district, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Henburn, and on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2¼ miles SW of the boundary with Yorkshire, and 5½ NE of Burnley. It is thought by some to have been the Colunio of the Romans; but it has yielded no other evidence of Roman occupation than some Roman coins. It occupies a rising-ground; presents chiefly a modern and manufacturing aspect; and has a head post office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking-office, two chief inns, three churches, five dissenting chapels, a cemetery of 1860, a mechanics’ institute, and two endowed schools. The chief of the churches, St. Bartholomew’s, is perpendicular English, with some Norman traces; has two chantry chapels, a fine screen, and an old font; and was restored and enlarged in 1857. The two endowed schools have £15 or £48 from endowment; and one of them had as a pupil Archbishop Tillotson. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; and fairs on 7 March, 13 May, 11 Oct., and 21 Dec. Manufactures of woollen and worsted were formerly extensive; but manufactures of cotton are now the chief. Pop., 6,315. Houses, 1,357. The township Comprises 4,575 acres. Real property, £20,817; of which £800 are in gas-works, and £120 in quarries. Pop., 7,906. Houses, 1,701. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Lacys; and Barnside was an old seat of the Townleys. The surface is hilly; the rocks include coal, limestone and slate; and a double-ditched camp, 360 feet by 330, is at Castor Cliff. The three chapelries are St. Bartholomew, Christ Church, and Barrowford; and the first is a rectory, the others p. curacies, in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. Bartholomew, £300; of Christ-Church, £150; of Barrowford, £150. Patrons of all, Hulme’s Trustees. The sub-district contains six townships. Acres, 15,435. Pop., 21,203. Houses, 4,369.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Burnley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Whalley
- Poor Law Union: Burnley
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York