Cockersand Abbey, Lancashire Family History Guide

Cockersand Abbey is an extra-parochial place.

Alternative names: Cockers Abbey, Abbey Farm

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Cockersand Abbey

  • Cockerham

Historical Descriptions

Cockersand Abbey

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COCKERSAND ABBEY, an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Lancaster; at the mouth of the rivulet Cocker, 6¾ miles SSW of Lancaster. A Pre-monstratensian abbey, on the site of a previous hermitage and hospital, was founded here, in 1190, by Theobald, brother of Archbishop Hubert; was restored, for a short time, after the dissolution; and is now represented by its octagonal chapter-house, and part of the other walls. It belongs to the Daltons of Thurnham; and is sometimes called Thurnham-Abbey.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Abbey Farm

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Abbey-Farm, an extra-parochial tract, the site of the ancient abbey of Cockerham, 4 ½ miles SSW of Lancaster. Pop., with Crook-Farm, 42.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The National Gazetteer 1868

ABBEY FARM, an ext. par. place, in the tnshp. of Thurnham, and hund, of Lonsdale, in the co. palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the S. W. of Lancaster. It was the site of Cockerham abbey.

Administration

  • County: Lancashire
  • Civil Registration District: Lancaster
  • Probate Court: Search surrounding parishes
  • Diocese: Not Applicable
  • Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
  • Poor Law Union: Lancaster
  • Hundred: Lonsdale
  • Province: York