Cockerham, Lancashire Family History Guide

Cockerham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Cleveley, Forton, Thurnham with Abbey Farm, Crook Farm, Light House and Brow House, Thurnham, and Holleth.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1595

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Cockerham

  • Pilling
  • Cockersand Abbey
  • Glasson
  • Shireshead
  • Garstang
  • Ellel

Historical Descriptions

Cockerham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COCKERHAM, a township and a parish in the district and county of Lancaster. The township lies on the Cocker rivulet, adjacent to the Lancaster canal, and the Lancaster and Preston railway, 2 miles SW of Bay Horse r. station, and 4½ NNW of Garstang; and has a post office under Garstang, Lancashire, and a fair on Easter Monday. Acres, 4,860. Real property, £8,078. Pop., 778. Houses, 131. The parish contains also the township of Ellel and part of the township of Thurnham. Acres, 10,480. Real property, with the rest of Thurnham, £20,561. Pop., 2,922. Houses, 530. The property is much subdivided. Thurnham is the seat of the Daltons. Some of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and silk mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese. of Manchester. Value, £640. Patrons, the Lords of the manor. The church is in the pointed style, and has a spire. The p. curacies of Ellel, Shireshead, and Dolphinholme are separate benefices. There are three dissenting chapels and an endowed school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Abbey Farm

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Abbey-Farm, an extra-parochial tract, the site of the ancient abbey of Cockerham, 4 ½ miles SSW of Lancaster. Pop., with Crook-Farm, 42.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The National Gazetteer 1868

ABBEY FARM, an ext. par. place, in the tnshp. of Thurnham, and hund, of Lonsdale, in the co. palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the S. W. of Lancaster. It was the site of Cockerham abbey.

Administration

  • County: Lancashire
  • Civil Registration District: Lancaster
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
  • Diocese: Manchester
  • Rural Deanery: Amounderness
  • Poor Law Union: Lancaster
  • Hundred: Lonsdale
  • Province: York