Childwall, Lancashire Family History Guide

Childwall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Wavertree, Allerton, Garston, Speke, Hale, Halewood, Little Woolton, Grassendale and Much Woolton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1557

Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Childwall

Historical Descriptions

Childwall

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

CHILDWALL, a township in West Derby district and a parish in West Derby and Prescot districts, Lancashire. The township lies adjacent to the Liverpool and Manchester railway, between Broad Green and Roby stations, 4 ¼ miles E of Liverpool. Acres, 828. Real property, £3,198. Pop., 174. Houses, 25. The parish includes also the townships of Wavertree, Allerton, Garston, Speke, Hale, Halewood, Little Woolton, and Much Woolton; extends from the suburbs of Liverpool, 9 miles up the Mersey; and contains the post-offices of Wavertree, Garston, Broad-Green, Woolton, Grassendale, and Halewood under Liverpool, and Hale under Warrington. Acres, 19,327; of which 6,850 are water. Real property, £119,561. Pop., 17,917. Houses, 3,115. The property is much subdivided. Childwall Hall belongs to the Marquis of Salisbury; and Hale House to J. T. Blackburn, Esq. Garston belonged to the Tarletons; Allerton, to the Roscoes; and Spey, to the Norrises. A cell to Holme priory anciently stood near Childwall Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £456. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The p. curacies of Garston, Wavertree, Aigburth, St. Mary, Woolton, Hale, Halewood, and Grassendale are separate benefices. Markland, the critic, and the Child of Hale, who was 9 feet 3 inches high, were natives.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Allerton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Allerton, a township in the parish of Childwall, co.-palatine of Lancaster. Here stands the famous Allerton-oak; and on the same farm is a supposed Druidical monument known by the name of Calder-stones, with some traces of rude characters which have never been deciphered. Pop., in 1801, 178; in 1831, 374. Houses 51. Acres 1,410. A. P. £4,836. Poor rates, in 1837, £165. Allerton-hall — in this neighbourhood— was at one time the seat of Mr Roscoe, author of 'The Life of Lorenzo de Medici.'

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Grassendale

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Grassendale, a chapelry in Childwall parish, Lancashire; near the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 4 miles E of Liverpool. It was constituted in 1855; and it has a post-office under Liverpool. Rated property. £8,695. Pop., 912. Houses, 137. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good.

Source The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

Halewood

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Halewood, a township, in the parish of Childwall, union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (S.) from Prescot; containing 1101 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 3483 acres. The. Tithes have been commuted for £394. 18. 8., of which £61. 9. 4. are payable to the vicar, £330 to the Bishop of Chester, and £3. 9. 4. to the incumbent of Hale. Here is a small chapel of ease to Woolton.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Administration

  • County: Lancashire
  • Civil Registration District: West Derby
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Chester
  • Rural Deanery: Prescot
  • Poor Law Union: West Derby
  • Hundred: West Derby
  • Province: York