Cheetham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1839 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Cheetham Hill St Mark, St Mark Cheetham.
Other places in the parish include: Cheetham Hill St Luke, Crumpsall, and Cheetham St Luke.
Parish registers begin:
* Cheetham Hill St Mark: 1878
* Cheetham St Luke: 1839
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian Church in England, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Parishes adjacent to Cheetham
- Salford St Simon
- Manchester St Paul
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Manchester St Michael
- Salford Holy Trinity
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
CHEETHAM, a village, a township, a sub-district, and two chapelries in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village bears the name of Cheetham Hill; stands within Manchester borough, 2 ½ miles NNW of the centre of Manchester; and has a post-office under Manchester. The township includes the village; is all suburban to Manchester; contains numerous villas of Manchester merchants and manufacturers; and was long the residence of the ancient family of Chetham. Acres, 919. Real property, £77,917. Pop., 17,446. Houses, 3,168.
The sub-district contains also the township of Crumpsall. Acres, 1,652. Pop., 21,731. Houses, 3,882. The chapelries are St. Luke-Cheetham and St. Mark-Cheetham; and were constituted in 1840 and 1846. Pop., 4,719 and 2,377. Houses, 843 and 478. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. Luke, £258; of St. Mark, not reported. Patrons of St. Luke, Trustees; of St. Mark, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The churches of both are good; There are two chapels for Independents and two for Wesleyans; and one of the latter, in Waterloo-road, is an edifice in the early English style, built in 1862.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHEETHAM, a township, in the parish and union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Manchester; containing 6082 inhabitants. The township lies on the new and old roads to Bury; is beautifully situated on rising ground; and comprises 954 acres, all pasture land. It abounds with the private residences of Manchester merchants and others, among which is Green Hill, the seat of Edward Loyd, Esq., banker of that town. The views of the surrounding country are very extensive. The river Irwell separates the township from Salford. St. Mark's church here was built in 1794, at the expense of the Rev. Charles Ethelston: the living is a perpetual curacy, patron and incumbent, the Rev. Hart Ethelston, M.A., grandson of the founder; net income, £350. An ecclesiastical district is assigned to the church, including portions of Crumpsall and Broughton. St. Luke's church, built on land given by the Earl of Derby, was consecrated in October, 1839; it cost £15,000, and is an elegant structure in the decorated English style, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire, forming a conspicuous object in the scenery: the interior is particularly neat. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Loyd and four other Trustees; net income, £300, with a good glebe-house. St. Thomas's church, at the corner of Derby-street, Redbank, was commenced in 1843, by the Manchester and Eccles Church Building Society. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester. There are two meeting-houses for Wesleyans, with a burial-ground and a school attached to one of them; also a place of worship for Associated Methodists. St. Chad's Roman Catholic chapel, in York-street, was commenced in the spring of 1846, and completed in August 1847, at a cost of £8500: it is an elegant edifice of the 14th century, 134 feet long, and has a fine tower. Connected with St. Mark's church are good schools, towards the enlargement of which a government grant was made in 1844; they contain a useful village library. Excellent schools are also attached to St. Luke's.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Manchester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Manchester
- Poor Law Union: Manchester
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York